Thursday, March 27, 2008

As Promised...

After my dismal failure to declutter yesterday, I started early this morning with a post-breakfast trip to the hand-me-down closet.

I used to have a hand-me-down organizational system, but three kids and six years later, my system has mutated into "throw the old clothes in the closet and shut the door really fast before any of them fall out."

(This goes double for the shoes, which are balanced precariously on an upper shelf. If you don't get that door closed fast enough, you are going to take a boot to the forehead.)

This closet is really irritating to get into because my changing table sits directly in front of it. There is going to come a day—and that day might be soon—when I no longer need that changing table and I will have unfettered access to the closet. Oh, those will be good times. (For more than one reason.)

I concentrated on shoes today. I'd like to say that was my plan all along, but it wasn't. I just got really overwhelmed by the pile of clothes that I would have had to sort if I took on the clothes.

Without further ado, here is my pre-sort shoe shelf:


The clothes are even worse.

Most of these are shoes that Quinn has outgrown. Why I put them back in the closet, I don't know. Especially when I had to haul a changing table out of the way to do so.

I'm donating seven pairs of shoes and throwing away one stray flip flop.


If you're curious, there are fewer than that number of shoes still in the closet. (I forgot to take that photo.)

I also found a couple other things like another unused curtain rod and a curtain ruffle from Jack's bedding set. It still had all of its original creases. Another never used item.


I think (I think) those wheels belong to a crib that I am giving to a friend of mine. I'll have to remember to ask her if she wants them. But I'll have to wait a while because she's currently busy, having unexpectedly had her baby yesterday! Congratulations to S, G, C, and new baby W!

Total items for today: 11

1 comment:

Whirlwind said...

I just found wheels to a crib as well.