Wednesday, March 12, 2008

F.A.Q. II

Why six items a day?
What? You have a better number?

I didn't want the pressure of too many items a day, but too few wouldn't make a big difference. Plus, see my diagram? There are six sections. I know one shouldn't have anything to do with the other, but I like the symmetry of it.

As I'm working through my things though, the number 6 seems increasingly irrelevant.

Why do you have to write a blog about this? Why can't you just declutter and shut the hell up about it?
Because I have a need to establish rules for myself to follow. But I like to break those rules, so I have to feel accountable to someone. Y'all will do.

There have been days I haven't felt like doing any decluttering, but then I think about my blog and I go ahead and do it. It's very motivating. I highly suggest you start your own decluttering blog as well. And then I'll have another motivating factor: my extreme competitiveness.

Whirlwind wants to know: Can I steal your idea?
Please do. (See above.) I'll even put up a blogroll of declutterers so all of us junk pyramiders can get inspiration from each other!

The New Girl asks: What are you doing about your husband's stuff? And your kids' stuff?
For my kids, they're still young enough that I can take things without them objecting too much. Especially if I remove them while they're at school. (Oh, I'm not a nice person.) I'm trying to stick with things that they don't care about any more. Sometimes Sam will remember something that's long gone, or find something in the recycling bin or donation box, and then I have some 'splaining to do.

My husband is a harder case. He has a ton of crap, but he doesn't have the deculuttering bug. For now I'm postponing doing anything with it. At some point I'm going to have to go through it and ask him if I can throw away each item. And he's going to say no, and it's going to be really sad and frustrating for me. So far he's wanted to keep everything I've asked him about.

Fortunately, it will take a lot of time for me to declutter my stuff, so I can postpone this problem for a while.

Thrift Store Mama asked this question (and the next two): How and why did the stuff get into your house in the first place?
Well, now, there's the rub. I like to buy things. It makes me irrationally happy.

We have so many toys because (a) I like toys, (b) my kids like toys, (c) as a newer mom I liked watching my kids enjoy a new toy, and (d) I used to use retail therapy as real therapy.

I'm better now. Most of the time.

I've been working for a while now on not buying as many things. I used to go to Target more than once a week and buy, buy, buy. Now I go maybe once a month. And buy less.

At 34 I've finally come to the realization that I don't need to buy things I don't need. (Seems obvious, huh?)

Are you following a plan/method as you move through the house decluttering?
Nope. I've got not a plan in the world. Every day I assess how much time I have and what looks like fun to declutter. Or I look at what really needs to be taken care of and I set aside time to do it. Also I plan to declutter according to what I can donate. I decluttered clothes when Amvets called for them. I decluttered towels when the humane society needed towels. And so on.

How do you manage doing it everyday in addition to your regular household chores?
Let's get something straight. I don't like to clean, but I LOVE to organize. So this is perfect for me. So how do I fit it in with my regular household chores? Well, I ignore the household chores.

Plus, I'm hoping that if I get rid of a bunch of my stuff that it will be easier to clean.

Although if I'm being completely honest, most of my little projects so far have not taken more than 15-30 minutes.

And there are things that need to be decluttered in pretty much every area of my home, so I can usually find something to clean out wherever I'm taking care of my children.

Can I have your junk?
Yes.

Email me at stimeyland (at) gmail (dot) com if you see something you like. It's been suggested (by The New Girl) that I set up PayPal for shipping costs and send my detritus all over the country. If there's interest, I just may do so. 'Til then, we can work something out between us.

3 comments:

Whirlwind said...

Okay, here goes. Nothing here yet, but here's the URL.

http://lessisbetter.blogspot.com/

the new girl said...

heh heh.
your detrius.

Thrift Store Mama said...

Wow, I'm really flattered that my questions went in your FAQ. After reading your comments, I think I also used to buy as a form of therapy. Even though most of my clutter has come from Value Village (and therefore wasn't a lot of money) it still wasn't a good way to cope. My Lenten sacrifice of not buying hardly anything new has been incredibly liberating and freeing. Thanks for the answers - I think I've been thinking about decluttering as a "GREAT BIG THING" and instead of what I can do in 2-3 minutes here or there.