Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Fast and Easy

I made a huge difference in about 10 minutes today. And that includes time spent taking and uploading photos.

I went from this:


to this:


You can't really tell the depth of mess in that first photo because of the angle and my poor photography skills, but this was one of those drawers that resisted closing. (Or rather—and more frustratingly—opening.) The culprit was a tall, unruly stack of CDs for different computer programs. My solution to that was simple: Put them with all the other software in the closet that I haven't decluttered yet. (See? Decluttering is easy.)

After I did that I even had room to put my extra inks in this drawer, thus consolidating all my "I need these items close at hand" computer gizmos in one drawer. I guess the things I print don't use a lot of pink and light blue. I'm obviously not producing baby announcements here.

I have to keep my printer manuals at hand because I regularly forget how to do things like scan. Or print. Or fax. I recently faxed 32 pages of records to a medical institution only to have them call to tell me that they'd received 32 blank pages. I'd put my originals in upside down. I'm totally the smartest person in the room. (Incidentally, I'm alone right now. I guess that makes me the dumbest person in the room too.)

I broke one of my own rules by keeping a couple cables that I am not sure what they will work with. But I'd rather waste 3 cubic inches of space keeping them than find out later that I threw out the cable that connects my video camera to my computer and I have to spend $45 and wait three days for shipping to get a new one. We don't want that.

There were exactly six things to throw away or donate from this drawer.


Like everyone else in the world, I have a pack of unopened ink for a printer I don't use anymore. We use a trackball, so I don't need that mouse pad. (Which was a going away present when we left Alaska. The giver explained that it was supposed to be a "moose pad," but the store had run out of the pads with photos of moose on them. It kind of wrecks the joke that we got a polar bear.)

Then there are some cable thingies and some documentation for a camera I don't use, plus some software I will never install on my computer.

Total items for today: 6

1 comment:

Sue said...

My solution to that was simple: Put them with all the other software in the closet that I haven't decluttered yet. (See? Decluttering is easy.)

Oooh that made me giggle! Way to keep on plugging. I wish I was as faithful to the dream.