Thursday, March 6, 2008

Goodbye, My Lovelies...

I have so many books. I've been aware since I started this whole thing that eventually I was going to have to do something with some of my books.

But even though I have books that I know I will never read again, it's hard for me to let go of them. They're like my little paper children.

Yesterday a friend told me she was going to go to the Friends of the Library book shop to donate some books. She knows I'm trying to declutter, so she offered to drop off any books I wanted to give up.

I didn't know if I was ready. I went to my basement and surveyed my bookshelves. I finally decided to thin out my mass market paperback section. Even that was tough.

I gave up a bunch of legal thrillers, a ridiculously large selection of Dean Koontz books, and some assorted others. Here they are:


I got rid of less than half a shelf of these books, which I had stacked on their backs, two deep. But I still managed to donate 44 books.

And that's not too shabby.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

Books would be the hardest thing for me to declutter too. I'm a book hoarder. 44 is awesome though!!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Wow!! Wow!!! I never thought I would live to see the day!!! Are you okay?
44 books is an amazing amount to donate! Especially because I know how much you like books.
I am stunned and speechless...
Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!

~C

the new girl said...

My little paper children. lmao.

I have the same problem. I think its the catholic schooling. It's related to the sin of wasting paper, which is also hard to deprogram.

Whirlwind said...

Wow thats alot. I recently donated some books to the girl's school library - somehow we managed to accumulate a dozen duplicate books and were to lazy to return them.

Most of my personal books, sadly are packed away in boxes.

I find myself thinking of this blog as I peer into spaces barely used. I found a box of like new receiving blankets in the bottom of my three year old's closet that I am now looking to donate.

Carrie said...

Congrats! It's so hard to give away books. Another option is to look at paperbackswap.com

Granted it's not true decluttering because you can get more books with your credits you receive, but it's another good way to recycle books. I love it and haven't bought a new book in months!

FishyGirl said...

I'd have had a tough time with that - it's always so hard to get rid of any of my books. I've been trying so hard lately to get rid of some of mine, too, and force myself to use the blasted library more often (I'm just so impatient for new releases sometimes).

There's a used book store off Shady Grove Rd. called Book Alcove that will buy books and pay cash for them, not give you store credit. For me for a while I found it easier to give some of my books up if I was selling them. You don't get much, and they never take everything, but I always take whatever they don't want to the library. Maybe you might find it easier to let go that way.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I thought I got first dibs on your books. hmmm. How is I that I feel like an injured party everytime you get rid of something? I don't even live at your house. Odd. Keep up the good work.
L

Stimey said...

You know I'm serious when I'm getting rid of books!

I'll have to check out that used book store and paperback swap. Sounds cool.

And, L? You're right. I can't believe I didn't run this by you first. Although I don't think you would have been a fan of the books I got rid of. And you could live in my house if you wanted to. You could live in the basement with all the books.