Sunday, March 30, 2008

Hand-Me-Down Hell

Oh, it's so damn embarrassing:


That was my hand-me-down closet before today. This is where I would toss all Sam, Jack, and Quinn's off-season and off-size clothes. Frankly, it was too much work to go through them all and sort them by size.

Today when I went through the closet, I pulled out summer clothes to put in their dressers. I even found a non-yellow shirt that Quinn is willing to wear! (Please don't ask why he is wearing swim goggles.)


I put all of Sam and Jack's winter clothes in the closet and put Quinn's aside to donate. I decided to sort the remaining hand-me-down clothes, not by size (4T, 5T), but by child (a box for Quinn, a box for Jack, the shaft for Sam):


All told, I found 21 items of clothing to donate:


As far as trash, I found 5 items of clothing that were too stained or worn to store or donate, including that "white"—and I use that term loosely—turtleneck in the front there. Why do you think we had kept ahold of that?


I also found one sock and two french fries. I decided against keeping them.

I'm also donating that faux fur rug. I got it years ago from IKEA. I gave it to Jack as a baby because he loves tactile things. I'd forgotten entirely that I had it. Quinn spent about 23 seconds loving it and then demanded that I get rid of it immediately.

So after a complete failure yesterday to declutter a damn thing, today I got rid of 28 items.

4 comments:

m said...

Nice job. The question is: What are you going to do with the rest of that nice cleaned-out closet? Looks like you have plenty of room left. Shelving, perhaps? Ah,the possibilities...

Stimey said...

You're right, M, I need shelving in there. There is a lot of wasted space. Right now there is a changing table blocking the door, so once that is gone (soon, I hope), then I'll start thinking about how to better utilize the closet.

Sue said...

I must spend 25% of my time on hand-me-down management. I've been pretty good about keeping it organized (well, until this year and then, I have a photo that could scare the pants off anyone!). I have bins and bins of clothes. It's nice that I rarely have to buy stuff (esp. for the younger two), but I could probably clothe every child in a small Carribean country just out of my attic. It's embarrassing. (And takes up a TON of space.)

Good job on getting it sorted before spring. I always seem to wait until I realize my kids are still wearing turtlenecks in 80 degree weather before I haul out those darn bins.

SuburbanCorrespondent said...

You are an inspiration to all of us!