Monday, March 31, 2008

It's Unfair to Outgrow Books

Today was very productive but a little sad. It's really hard for me to get rid of books. It's especially hard for me to get rid of children's books. They are so fun to read, there are so many memories of cuddling associated with them, and you never know when one of the kids may pick up Barney at the Farm, right? Right? Why would I get rid of a book that one of my children may look at for five seconds one day?

Well, that's why Quinn's bookshelf looked like this:


And remember that there is an equal number of books in Sam and Jack's room. Probably more.

There were so many books in there that it was difficult to find any of them. We ended up reading the same six books over and over because all of the rest were lost in the shuffle.

Books I got rid of:

* Books the little dudes were never interested in. There weren't very many of these. My guys have always been appreciative readers.

* Books that are obviously too young for them and that they don't go back to look at anymore.

* Any book that played music. Enough. We have iPods for that.

* Any book with wheels. We had two. Is that weird?

* Duplicates. We had two copies of Goodnight Gorilla. It's a great book, but we don't need two copies.

Books that got saved from the donation pile:

* The couple that Quinn saw and started reading.

All told, there are 42 books I found to give away.


It makes me sad, but I figure that they are meant for other people who will love them more than we can at this point in time. We've enjoyed them. It's time to pass them on. There will always be new books. There will always be the library.

See all the room Quinn has now?


Just this afternoon he found Go, Dogs, Go! and made us read it to him over and over. I don't know that he'd ever seen that book before because it was lost in the clutter.

If you're local, feel free to come over and rifle through my stash before it gets taken away in two weeks.

4 comments:

Cyn said...

Love your blog, found you through She's Just Another Manic Mommy. I have three boys the same age as yours. I wish the best for your family and the autism diagnosis. I, too, am on a spectrum. Makes it sound like a rainbow, doesn't it? Float on... Cyn

m said...

I too hate to purge books, but it has to be done. Wait 'til you see how fast those shelves refill. Out with the old and in with the new!

Manic Mommy said...

Tell me you held onto Goodnight Moon!

My rule at the bookstore is they're not allowed to choose books that we can watch on TV (eg Dora, Spongebob, Scooby Do). Somehow they end up on the shelf anyway.

Robin said...

Books are always the hardest for me to 'de-clutter' too.