Thursday, March 20, 2008

One of My Dump Zones

I think we all have those spaces in our homes that gather clutter. When we don't know what to do with something, we put it there. When an item doesn't have a home, but it can't just sit on the kitchen table forever, we put it there. My kitchen counter is one of those dump zones, but at least I clean that off every couple of days.

Today I worked on a dump zone in what I refer to as my "Secret Closet" because it is where I store birthday presents and wrapping paper, and no one but me is allowed in it. If not for the sloping ceiling, it would qualify as a walk-in closet. Although I guess it technically is a walk-in, as I walk in and out of it on a regular basis.

There is a file cabinet in this closet. And the top of that file cabinet is one of my dump zones. If I'm upstairs and I don't know what to do with something, it goes there:


First of all, I would like to say this: If I ever even suggest to you that I need to buy a frame, specifically a 4" x 6" frame, tell me to go look in my Secret Closet.

Among the about 10 items I'm discarding from this closet are: four unused nursing pads, two ice packs of the kind they give you at the hospital when you give birth (my youngest child is almost three), a visual timer that I never figured out how to use and that I've lost the adapter for, two iPod cases, more headbands, and assorted—for lack of a better word—trash.

There wasn't a lot to donate from this batch, but I managed to find a couple of things.


I was left with the photo frames, a beloved Zippo lighter from my smoking days, some decorative boxes, and a couple other things.

I think you'll agree that this is an improvement:


The best thing I found is this orange penis wine glass charm that I got at a Slumber Party I went to last year. Why I bothered to bring this home, I can't say. What else I brought home, I won't say.


Stay tuned for the eventual decluttering of the rest of this closet. It will be momentous.

5 comments:

Whirlwind said...

What a huge improvement! It's amazing what you find years later - a few months ago, I found a breast pump that hadn't been used in over three years!

the new girl said...

Okay.
So that photo of the *hem* wine glass ornament thing has no scale and it looks, hmmm, slightly LARGER than it must be.

heh heh.

Jessica @ A Bushel and a Peck said...

Ugh, we have TWO junk drawers in my kitchen that need this treatment badly. Although I think its safe to say there is no penis-shaped anything in either of them. ;)

Sue said...

I found some breast pads that I threw out recently too. I haven't nursed a baby in 3 years either. My hub wanted to save them as coasters. Nah... we have actual coasters. Let's use those.

Manic Mommy said...

What you also didn't say was whether or not you kept the penis wine charm. Which is awesome. I may have to get the collection. Hah! Picture that at Christmas.