Thursday, March 20, 2008

An Ounce of Prevention...

You know that I've been trying to get rid of stuff, but the counterpoint to getting rid of clutter is not bringing it into the house in the first place.

The minor holidays present a challenge for me. When I was growing up, my mom always made a point of having us wake up to a selection of small presents on days like Valentine's Day and Easter. (I'm a secular kid, so Easter counts as just an Easter Bunny holiday for my family.)

I was proud of myself this year when I ignored Valentine's Day completely. (My husband may have been less pleased about that, but that's an issue for Stimeyland.) I didn't give my kids Valentine candy or cards, or little pink and red crap for them to muck up their shelves with.

I'm a little more inclined to give them something for Easter. Because the Easter Bunny comes to hide eggs, it makes sense that he would leave a little something for the kiddies, right? I mean, why waste a trip?

In years past, this has meant buying bunny ears, little stuffed animals, tiny rabbits and ducks made out of plastic that no one cared about, but they only cost a dollar, so I should get them, right?

This year I stuck mostly to consumables. The following shows everything the Easter Bunny is bringing all three kids:


Those eggs are sidewalk chalk (and only cost a dollar, so I should get them, right?). They'll each get three candy items and a box of goldfish. And I got them each a little Lego set, which won't cause any extra clutter because I'll just toss them in the existing Lego bin.

I'm not thrilled with the amount of sugar they'll be consuming on Sunday, but at least I didn't buy anything that I'll want to throw away five minutes later.

5 comments:

the new girl said...

Niiice.

Jessica @ A Bushel and a Peck said...

Good job! I am trying to keep it to a minimum, too--the kids are each getting some candy (most of which will probably be eaten by me!), and a movie, and some flip-flops, and a book for each of them. Of course, my MIL will buy them huge baskets of crap that I will end up throwing out.

Thrift Store Mama said...

Where did you pick up the egg shaped sidewalk chalk for a dollar?

Stimey said...

The dollar section at Target. That is always the place to go to buy silly, cheap holiday items.

Thrift Store Mama said...

I'm sending DH there tonight (I gave up ALL shopping for Lent).

Thanks!