Monday, March 17, 2008

Tool Time

Honestly, my before and after pictures today look almost the same:


But trust me when I say there is a huge difference in my tool cabinet.

Where before there was a giant pile of stuff, now there are smaller organized piles of things.

I consolidated my 6000 Allen wrenches, my 45 screwdrivers, and my hammers, nails, box cutters, wrenches, and levels in the red toolbox on the bottom.

My ratchet tools and drill & drill bits are there on the second shelf from the bottom. That black toolbox know holds my staggering collection of hooks and eyes. For some weird reason, I have a lot of them—like 12. If it was in an unopened package and there was a chance I might use the item some day, I kept it and put it in this toolbox. My cable ties are there too.

On the left door are all my drywall screws. Other than a screwdriver, drill, and hammer and nails, they are the things I use most, so it makes sense to have them handy.

Next shelf up, you'll find more tools, clamps, extension cords, and a couple miscellaneous items.

And on the top is spackle and painting supplies.

So what did I throw away? Mostly a billion and six individual screws, nuts, washers, and other assorted crap. I figure if I haven't used it since I last organized this cabinet a couple of years ago, then I really don't need it. And if it does turn out that I need that 1/2" pointy screw I just threw away? Well, I'll take my 12 cents down to the Home Depot and buy myself a new one.

Here is all the stuff that got trashed:


Included are little plastic pieces intended to be attached to to the inner doors of the cabinet to hang tools from. Whatever. There are also pieces to things that I don't know what they belong to. Be gone! My billion and six screws are here. As is a mostly empty can of carpet cleaner and some incense. Incense? I think I last used that in grad school.

Here's something else I decided to get rid of:


For someone with paralyzing arachnophobia and a healthy distaste for other bugs, the bug vacuum seemed like a good idea when I bought it. I used it a lot at first, but its suction proved weak and giant crickets proved stronger—not to mention hard to trap. (A Dyson vacuum cleaner proved stronger still.)

Plus I got skeeved out by all the bugs inside the thing. It was hard for me to get near it. (I have problems. I know.)

The last things I'm getting rid of are a variety of child safety devices.


There are no less than four kinds of outlet covers in that picture. Those will get donated.

And before you chastise me for my obviously unsafe storage of tools, let me assure you that my children have never even noticed this cabinet. Even when I was cleaning it out today, it was like I was invisible. Although I wonder if the plastic on the doors would take one of my hooks and eyes?

Total items/groups for today: 21

3 comments:

Thrift Store Mama said...

Drywall screws totally rock. I also love those plastic cable ties and, of course, duct tape. I didn't see any duct tape in your cabinet. As the mom to three boys, I imagine you might find it better to keep it closer at hand? It looks great, and I can definitely see the difference in the before and after photos. I tried to declutter a sock basket while a mother's helper was here today for 45 minutes, but... sigh.

Jessica said...

big difference

so rad your husband cleaned

i imagine you twirling around your home singing "The hills are alive..."

the new girl said...

*blink blink*
You have a TOOL cabinet?

We SO need one of those, man.