Friday, April 11, 2008

Double Feature: "A Fistful of Pens" & "Snacks on a Shelf"

For my movie theme today*, I took about ten DVDs out of their cases and put them in a DVD wallet that already houses most of my kids' videos. Then I re-purposed the cases over to my Videography Supplies Closet. (Not to be confused with the Videography Equipment Closet.)

I was able to find three children's videos that we can't watch because we don't use a VCR anymore.

*****

Though it may be hard to tell, the photo on the left is the before picture. This is one of those skinny little drawers next to the stove that isn't good for a whole lot. (Although as soon as I wrote that, about six ideas for uses popped into my head.)

Anyway, it wasn't serving a purpose other than holding assorted crap that I didn't know what to do with. Mostly that crap consisted of pens, markers, crayons, and pencils. (The reason you can't see them is because they're under all the other crap.)

But other crap to be thrown away was a deck of playing cards from McDonalds (huh?), a Weight Watchers food journal (only three pages filled out), and a barette. There were some things in there that were supposed to live in other places as well.

I took all of that out and made it my pet supplies drawer. (Not to be confused with my Pet Supplies Closet—it's complicated to live here.)

I counted the mountain of pens as one item, added that to the three other things from the drawer I threw out, included the three videos, and came up with 7 items.

*****

So, Cara, you say my house doesn't look like a Container Store, huh? I'll show you!**


That's my snack cabinet after I reorganized it today. (And took a trip to The Container Store.) I know I didn't throw anything away, but doesn't it look beautiful and streamlined?

See the improvement you've forced me into, Cara? And look how happy you've made my visiting gerbils. They get to recycle all these boxes for me over the course of the next week.


See the little dude in there drooling?

You'll also see a copy of some small Maryland suburbs yellow pages that I'm getting rid of, because if a listing is in there, it's probably also in my regular-sized yellow pages and I don't need duplicate phone books.

So that brings my total number of items for the day to: 8

* Could you tell it's a movie theme? I was playing on A Fistful of Dollars and Snakes on a Plane. It made perfect sense to me.

** She's right. My house makes pretty much any other house look like The Container Store. I didn't take any offense from her comments.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That cabinet is unreal! Way to go!
L

Manic Mommy said...

So...just how many closet do you have in this house of yours? Everytime I come over, you're talking about a different one.

The snack cabinet looks great. I use that little drawer for pot holders.

Cara Fox said...

Oh dear - I certainly did not mean to offend. I am way, way impressed by your progress, especially this cabinet. : )

YOu can gloat over the fact that since my original post and pledge to organize, my children have had spring break and I have been helping a good friend get through a family illness, so my entire house has gone to pot. Anything that was even remotely organized is now a jumbled mess. So I am now even further behind than you and completely awed by your ability to stick with the plan.

I'm going to make a renewed effort to stay with my plan and I started today by organizing my recycling center, in honor of Earth month or whatever it is. Here's hoping I actually manage to stay with it this time.

Thanks for being such a source of inspiration to us all!

Jessica said...

now I am sore ashamed of my home's snack section.