Sunday, April 27, 2008

Keepin' Them On Their Toes.

It's too perfect. Just as I was typing the headline for this post, Sam asked me, "Mom, why do we always have changes in this house?"

He's talking about my pathological overwhelming need to rearrange the furniture in my house on a weekly basis. For various reasons discussed at Stimeyland, we moved Quinn's bed into Sam and Jack's room this Saturday. And then we moved it back to his own room on Sunday.

As long as I was moving furniture around, I decided to make some changes to the kids' rooms. In Sam and Jack's room I put all their clothes on a newly created shelving system in the closet and moved their dresser out to the garage.

For Quinn's room, I put his books on his toy bookshelf and put the bookshelf in Sam and Jack's closet for the newly created shelving system mentioned in the paragraph above. Then I shuffled his remaining furniture around for good measure.

To fit his books on his toy shelf, I had to move some toys to our basement play room and put some in our donation box. I also found some things behind his dresser and decided to toss out some things that just plain needed to go.

That cone? Alex bought it for some reason that I can't figure out. I've tried to find a use for it for a really long time now, but mostly it just gets in my way. So fuck that. Unless one of you can come up with a compelling reason for me to keep it, I'm saying goodbye.

Those two toys are totally awesome and I fully expect one of my friends who reads this to email me to tell me she wants them. First come, first served.

There's a bunch of other crap, including some mostly used diaper ointment and sunscreen (the latter now expired as well). The shark is funny, but no one likes it. And there's also a changing pad cover that is so stained it's just embarrassing.

So that's 11 items from Quinn's room.

Also, while I was transferring Sam and Jack's clothes to their new home, I found 9 white undershirts that are too small for them. Normally I would save these for Quinn, but I have deemed them not viable for hand-me-down status. (Due to general nastiness.)

Total: 20

4 comments:

De in D.C. said...

Do the boys ever play soccer/other sports in the yard? Cones are the universal "instant goal.

Stimey said...

That's a good one, De. We've been mostly playing soccer in the living room (I'm smart, I know), but this summer we'll move it out to the yard. This is a compelling thought. I may have to take it back into my home. Or at least the garage.

WhyMommy said...

Oooh, me, me! I want the silly boat pop-up toy! Please! LB will be fascinated with it for at least the next five minutes ... then I'll pass it on like a good mom too.

Do you know you inspired me this weekend? I was coming here to tell you that I'm taking TWO BAGS of my clothes and purses (what? she owns a purse?) down to Shepherd's Table this week. If you need anything else hauled away, I can stop by!

Ann said...

Hi,
I like what you're doing and love your blog name. Found you through practice living. I'm blogging about decluttering too, not just my home but my mind! trying to get organized with tasks while reducing the amount of stuff.