Thursday, April 3, 2008

There's Always Tomorrow...

Today I was going to attack this closet that's been at the back of my mind ever since I started this project. Most importantly, it's my videography equipment closet, but it also contains a lot of other things: various folders and boxes full of God knows what, my guitar, a file cabinet full of outdated files, and so much more.

I'm worried.

I don't want to go in there.

Today I was going to.

But then Quinn asked me to make cookies and I sort of wanted to do that anyway because I was taking dinner to someone this evening and wanted to add some yumminess (oatmeal and M&M cookies definitely fit that bill).

While in the middle of that process, I found my Secondary Utensils Drawer:


I had originally repurposed this drawer during a decluttering frenzy last fall that was really more of a reorganizational frenzy.

At that time I put all the utensils I didn't use very often in this drawer. (Hence "Secondary Utensils.") When I found this drawer today, I realized that I could actually junk a bunch of this stuff.


Quinn took liquid antibiotics for the first several months of his life, so every two weeks I would go refill his prescription and get another syringe with which to shoot it down his little newborn throat. I kept a couple because they can be useful, but I got rid of eight of them today. I also got rid of three of the little dosage cups that come with medicine.

I don't sift flour, so I got rid of my sifter (that is what that is, right?). We had two knife sharpeners, so I got rid of one. I tossed the storage compartment for my blender, because the blender lives in the drawer and doesn't need a storage compartment. And a couple assorted other things.

Here's my drawer now:


It will quickly regress to look like the photo at the top, but at least it will have less stuff.

Total items for today: 20

Oh! Oh! I put the dinner I took to my friend in a cloth bag and told her she could keep it. So...

Total items for today: 21

5 comments:

Cyn said...

Oh, I am laughing so hard at the medicine cup/syringe thing. I actually told the pharmacist not to give me any more syringes. Recently my hubby cleaned out the drawer where I keep them and said it was ridiculous. I came running to prevent him from throwing away the "good ones." I am pitiful.

Cyn

tulipmom said...

I hear ya on the syringe epidemic. SB takes two liquid meds daily and our kitchen is overflowing with syringes. And I never refuse more at the pharmacy. Am I afraid they're going to run out of them one day?

Stimey said...

I know, the syringes. It's ridiculous. For some reason I felt like I needed to horde them. And even though I got rid of a bunch of them, I couldn't get rid of all of them. Ridiculous.

Sue said...

I horde those syringes too. I opened up the kid's medicine cabinet a few weeks ago and found like 10 of them up there. Ridiculous! I threw all of those out and now I am down to the 20 or so that are in the kitchen.

Anonymous said...

AHHHH I need the strainer and knife sharpener. Trash ALL the syringes-- the only reason you could possibly need them is to nurse a baby kitten back to life, then you can go to the pharmacy and get a new one.
L