Friday, June 20, 2008

Fury Rising...

If I ever want to get worked up into a frenzy, really all I need to do is clean my kids' room. Such a thing usually starts with me cheerfully entering said room with the intention to neaten up by myself.

Two apples cores, 16 lidless markers, and four piles of dirty underwear later, I'm cursing and screeching at my kids to come clean the room their own damn selves. I usually punish Sam by making him crawl under the bed to bring out everything that has fallen under it.

My other punishment is that if I find something that pisses me off, then I get rid of it promptly.


Those lamps that my children painted and decorated with their own tiny hands? Hate 'em. They're gone.

Homemade bead necklaces and bracelets? I'm sure they'll make me 15 of them tomorrow. I'll get rid of these.

The Thomas alarm clock with one leg? Let it bug someone else.

Anything in their room that is smaller than a book? It's going to the playroom, and if it causes trouble there, it's going to go "live in a farm upstate."

Total items for today (yesterday really): 16

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it!!!! So glad to know I'm not the only one who will "declutter/throw away everything that bugs me".
We will be moving at the end of summer and I'm already planning the "I guess it was lost in the move" statement instead of a truthful I threw the damn thing away.

~C

Friend H said...

I don't throw those bead necklaces away. I just cut the string and dump the beads back in with the rest. I misplaced our giant bag of beads a long time ago but A. has been happily making necklaces for the last year with the same bunch of beads over and over again. And nobody misses the necklaces after the day they were made.

Anonymous said...

H- You are so darn clever!
-L

mary said...

Our playroom cleaning has evolved into everyone cleaning for a while and once they lose steam I pick up everything that is left, toss it into a pile in the middle of the room and inform them that if it is not put away PROPERLY (shoving under sofa does not count) by bedtime I am tossing or donating.

If they care about it they put it away and don't it leaves my life with the knowledge it was unlikely to be taken out and played with again anyway.

whymommy said...

H - awesome.
Stimey - totally agree. If it bugs you, it's out, even if it's "precious." There are only so many of those "precious" things they'll take with them to college....

:-)

Qutecowgirl said...

Hubby and I went to straighten the boys room well that turned into really cleaning it. Oh boy we pulled 5!!!! huge garbage bags full of garbage and donations. WOW!!It was such a mess that we went into a frenzy and just did the whole thing. It looks so much better. Next up the girls room ; ) they are worried = )

Cyn said...

You are one tough chick. Homemade bead necklaces? *sigh*

Threeundertwo said...

Just found your blog through BlogNosh and I think you are my new hero.

I'll be back!