Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Closet Clutter, Book Jackets

So you know how you buy or receive children's hardcover books complete with dust jackets? Well, if you're like me, you generally take the dust jacket off because otherwise your kids will take it off anyway and then you have to pick up both the book and the jacket instead of just the book.

Apparently I'm not the only one who does this, because I remember reading in a parenting magazine a tip that addressed this very thing five or so years ago.

The tip was that you can take those dust jackets, frame or otherwise prepare them, and then use them as wall art.

Great tip, huh?

I thought so. But I've been plagued by it ever since.

Because I saved all my dust jackets instead of just throwing them away in the first place like I should have done. And I never created any art out of them.

So now I'm recycling them whenever I find them in their little stashes in literally every closet in my house. I found three in The Secret Closet.


Total items for today: 3

3 comments:

Whirlwind said...

OMG - I have a pile of dust jackets I wanted to frame but never got around to it. Also, a pulled apart board book that I thought whould be neat with ribbon through the top to hang than is still in a pile in a closet some where.

Mother Hen said...

Yup, I did the same thing. One time I came across my stash of dust jackets and realized I was a nut. I threw them out right away, and do you know, it didn't hurt one tiny bit. What a relief, I no longer have to save dust jackets and I don't have to feel guilty about it either. Just because some fool wrote it in a magazine does not make it the only way to handle it.

Thrift Store Mama said...

I save the dust jackets too - but I save them so they look nice when I go to resell them at the co-op sale! BTW, do you have any suggestions on how to decide which books to save and which to get rid of?