Monday, July 28, 2008

Closet Clutter, Day One

I'm going on vacation in less than a week and know that I won't be decluttering my house while I'm away. So in an effort to create good will before I bail for two weeks, I started work on one of the areas of my house I've been dreading most.

The Secret Closet.

It is thus named because it is where I keep presents before they are wrapped. It's also where I keep a couple of other things:


This is what I saw when I opened the door to this closet today.

I'm going to be taking a few days to post all of the things I took out of this closet so as not to bore you to tears all in one day. I will, however, show you before and after photos of one section of the closet. I'm really pleased by this.


Most of what I had to do was neaten things up. And there were piles of really ridiculous things in there. More on that later this week.

But here are some things I got rid of:


I might try to sell the cameras. There's also a child-safety mesh balcony railing that we don't use anymore, as well as an iPod armband that I don't need anymore now that I run with an iShuffle. (Well, actually I don't run much at all anymore, but if I did I would be wearing that Shuffle.)

That fish used to be a clock that I adored for many years. But it broke so I decided to make an art project out of it. That was more than a year ago. To the donation bin with it!

But by far my favorite thing that I found today was this:


Yeah. But extra pieces of what?

Here's a good rule of thumb: If you no longer even know what "extra pieces" belong to, throw them in the trash RIGHT NOW!

Total items for today: 7

*****

I've written and scheduled my next few posts to be published over the next week, so the count you see to the right reflects my totals for the whole week, not just today.

4 comments:

Thrift Store Mama said...

Gosh Stimey, I respectfully disagree about throwing away the extra pieces. I'm all for cleaning out, but I'm pretty sure that as soon as you throw those pieces away something will break and you will hit your head in an ah-ha moment and realize you need them. How about a box labeled "extra pieces" and throw them in there. Although, I suppose you'd then have to declutter the box thought.

Mother Hen said...

I love your blog, and I'm totally gonna do the de-clutter thing with you.

alice said...

I just jumped over here from a link on Don't try this at home... I am loving the before and after pics and then what do I see?

Is that a Hugo's bag? I'll have to tell Toni that they are famous now!

Stimey said...

I do love Hugo's. Although I feel spectacularly uncool every time I step in there.