Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Swag Problem

You may have heard that I went to BlogHer last weekend. (Here is where you mutter, "Yeah, you won't shut up about it.")

When I packed, I had a big ol' suitcase mostly empty but for three outfits and a huge bag of luggage tags. When I came home that big ol' suitcase was stuffed full and weighed 68 pounds, resulting in a heavy luggage charge at the airport.

But it could have been so much worse.

See, everywhere you turned at BlogHer, there were people trying to give you free stuff. And it was awesome. Except for when you discovered that the bag you were just handed was full of stuff you didn't need or that was totally awesome, but not something you can use.

For instance, that Mod Mum baby sling was completely awesome, but I think I would have a hard time forcing Sam to sit in it.

Fortunately BlogHer had anticipated this dilemma and was providing a swag recycling room sponsored by Zwaggle. Basically, if you acquired something you didn't want, you could take it to that room, where other people could take the item, or they would make sure it would get recycled. How cool is that?


(Maybe they've been reading The Junk Pyramid. Huh? Huh? Okay, they haven't, but let me have my delusions, thank you very much.)

I was able to find 19 items to put in the Zwaggle room.


Then after I carted all million pounds of my swag home, I found still more stuff I didn't need. So I put it in a bag I carried home for another blogger. She's getting 21 of my pieces of swag. Hopefully she will appreciate the lotion that I am too squeamish to put on.

So after my extended hiatus from de-junking, my total items for the week is 40.

8 comments:

Jody Reale--Zwaggle said...

Hey! Thanks for visiting the Zwaggle recycling room. I'm glad we could help out, even if you ended up with a net gain. When I asked my magic 8 ball if we would see you next year, it said it's decidedly so. I guess that settles it then.

Whirlwind said...

Wow, thats some totally awesome swag. Makes me wish I went to Blogher....

whymommy said...

What, you didn't take the herbicide on the plane? Oh well.

I was so proud to de-junk my bag with you Friday night. Somehow I made it home with only one extra carry-on!

Now, what was I going to do with all of that again?

Emma said...

I feel nervous about posting this comment as you don't know me. But I read this blog all the time...

You can't count that as junk you've got rid off! You just bought it in... surely all the other swag should be subtracted from your total ;)

Stimey said...

Ah, Emma. You and my husband think alike. I think he gave me the very same argument. :)

I believe that if I had refused the swag it wouldn't have counted as items I got rid of. But I don't think it matters how long something has been in my possession, as long as it is in my possession. Whether in a hotel room, or at home, I was still getting rid of my belongings. Especially the stuff I brought home in my suitcase.

If I had bought the items in SF, then given them away, they would have counted, right? Just 'cause it's free, doesn't mean it's not clutter.

This was a great comment. I think I'll address it in a future FAQ. Thanks for reading, and never be nervous about commenting.

m said...

Happy to "see" you back, and glad you had fun at Blogher.

Magpie said...

i confess that i mailed some stuff home. lord knows why. but now i have stuff to give my sister, so she can feel like she got something...

Rachel Inbar said...

I am going to have to choose sessions with you next time. Looks like you got much better stuff than me (though I seriously wasn't lacking in swag).

I'm glad I got to meet you at BlogHer!