Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Fare Thee Well, My Cassette Tapes. Fare Thee Well.

Alex has been doing some serious cleaning and organizing of the garage lately. He's started going a little crazy putting things in the discard pile. I actually had to rescue a couple of things. Mostly he's been doing a great job though.

One thing I found in the discard pile that initially gave me pause was this:


What you see there are 100 tapes full of live music, mostly the Grateful Dead and Phish.

My first reaction to seeing this in the pile was to immediately grab it and stash it in a corner of the garage. And then I thought: Yes, I love these tapes. Yes, they mean a lot to me because I went to a lot of these shows. Yes, there is some great music on these tapes.

Then I thought: Tapes?

I can't remember the last time I put a cassette tape in a tape player. I can barely remember putting CDs in CD players, for that matter.

We have a ton of great music in digital formats, and I haven't listened to one of these tapes in years. If I kept them, they would just sit in my garage until they disintegrated. What I had here was an opportunity to give someone a wonderful gift.

I posted these on Craigslist for free, following the tacit rule that you don't sell bootlegs of these bands. In the less than 12 hours I left the ad up, I had 10 people contact me wanting them.

Some anonymous person picked them up from my driveway today while I was out. I think the tapes are in a better place now.

Total items: 100 tapes and 1 tape holder

4 comments:

BetteJo said...

You're way smarter than me. When my daughter and I were cleaning up the garage - we threw them out. Guess mine aren't in a better place now. :(

Anne said...

Way to go! I'm sure you made some Deadhead very happy!

It was great to see you all this weekend! Thank you for having us over!

m said...

Wow...this is impressive. I still have some tapes hanging around that I can't part with. It's probably time for them to go.

Thrift Store Mama said...

I feel you - it was hard to let go of my mix tapes a few years ago. Thanks for the motivation. I've got 70 minutes left of kid free time this morning and I'm hopping to decluttering RIGHT. NOW!!!