Thursday, November 13, 2008

I Sure Have A Lot of Obsolete Media

Today I set my sights on a dresser that houses old VHS tapes, old video games, and some clothes. I wasn't prepared to deal with the games or clothes, so I started with the tapes.

Because we don't own a VCR anymore.

And if I want to watch one of those movies, I'll put it on my Netflix queue.

The only problem was that I couldn't get the drawer open. There was absolutely no obstruction that I could see or feel. I couldn't figure out what magic was giving me only three inches from which to pull out tapes.

Finally, like 15 minutes later (I'm nothing if not quick), I noticed that one of the boards on the bottom of the drawer was about a quarter of an inch lower than the other board. After some experimentation and a close call where I almost got my arm caught in the drawer under the one I was trying to open, I finally got it open to reveal this:


These are the videos I wasn't able to get rid of a couple of years ago, when I weeded out most of my extensive collection.

This first stack was easy. No VCR means no need for blank video tapes.


I donated the blank ones and threw away the used ones.

I happened to be on the phone with a friend of mine who does have a VCR at her beach house. Somehow she talked me into giving her these 35 tapes:


I think she was bummed out when I actually showed up at her house with three bags of tapes.

This is what I was left with. A couple I didn't think my friend wanted. A couple had sentimental value. And a couple were tapes of my various drama endeavors from elementary school and junior high.


Total items: 46

5 comments:

m said...

Nice work. Now get those old drama productions transferred to DVD. You and the kids will have a blast watching them sometime.

Did you see Peter Walsh on Oprah on Wednesday? Love that guy.

Threeundertwo said...

Good job. I still have some kids talent shows and ballet recitals on tape - I guess we could get them transferred. I also have some $$$PBS miniseries. I broke down and bought a cheap VCR a while back. I think it was about $40.

BetteJo said...

Oh you are so good. I still tape my soaps on my VCR every day and I will have a hard time letting go when I have to.

Anonymous said...

Once again I'm amazed and impressed. Good job!!

~C

hovercrafteel said...

Earlier this year I recently my 2 VHS tapes of childhood ballet recitals to Costco and they converted them to DVD for either $40 total or $40 per tape (don't remember). I recommend it if you have Costco where you live. -- Kirsten