Saturday, January 31, 2009

Basement Purge and Craigslist Prep

My basement basically functions as a playroom. I will go weeks at a time without cleaning it because the only thing down there is the washing machine and toys. And if I don't have to look at it, I'm probably not going to clean it.

But it does really make me feel better when it's clean, so I headed down there with Quinn the other day to neaten up and make some decisions on what toys my kids have outgrown and can be sold on Craigslist.

I came up with a whole bunch of things to sell. Hopefully as I get paid for their departure, you will see them here. Otherwise you will see them as donations in the near future.

Quinn played with popcorn for an hour. Then for another hour he played with a toy I was going to sell, but can't anymore because he loved playing with it so much. So I took that toy, put it in a see-though container, as opposed to the solid one it had been in, and put it in a more accessible place. This is the toy, or rather, toys:


I'm kind of glad he played with it, because I think these are the perfect kinds of toys. But they don't get played with at my house anymore. I hope that will change with their new location.

Other than that, this is what I was able to get rid of. First, a pile of trash:


Some of those things are items. Most are just trash. I just thought it was impressive to have that much trash in a room that doesn't get much traffic. Honestly, a lot of the trash are pieces of toys that I just didn't want to deal with anymore.

This is what I am able to donate:


Interestingly, it's mostly hats and other head wear. (I went through the kids' costume box.)

I'm going to mark it down as 20 items. Forgive the fuzzy math.

2 comments:

*m* said...

Oooooh, the stacking pegs on the yellow board! I got these at a yard sale and my kids adored them. They finally got passed on to my nephew. Seeing this photo gave me a sentimental twinge.

I've never done Craigslist or Freecycle; the idea of dealing with strangers (and them coming to my house) creeps me out a little. I assume you have had good experiences with this in the past? Maybe I ought to suck it up.

You have had a very productive dejunking month! Don't think we haven't noticed.

BetteJo said...

ANOTHER Wooly Willy?? And I'm curious, is there any significance to those kitties having their faces turned away from the camera? Witness protection of some sort? Hmmmm?