Thursday, January 22, 2009

Tupperware Reprise

Way back when I started the Junk Pyramid, I purged and organized my Tupperware cabinet. Since then, the forces of entropy (a.k.a. my husband) have de-organized it, and it needed to be redone.

I'm sure you can imagine the before. This is the after:


I find that taking a second pass at an area a few weeks or months after your initial purge is helpful. You can take another look at the things in there and see if there are items you haven't used since the last purge. I also find that I'm more inclined to get rid of things the second time through.

Plus, the first time, there were surely items that you had forgotten about. I'm sure that you told yourself that now that you'd remembered it, you would use it all the time. A second time through is the time to ask yourself if you have in fact used it.

One of my important rules of decluttering is that you can only use the "Now That I Know It's There, I'll Use It" rule once. If you forgot about it again after the first go-round, you should either get rid of it or move it to a more accessible place.

Most of the pieces in my Tupperware cabinet are things I use, but I was able to find some pieces that we have too many of or that are missing a lid or a bottom.


Total items: 8

6 comments:

penguinlady said...

It really amazes me how you can declutter every day! I have a huge stash of stuff to donate in my basement, waiting for the snow to go away, but even that isn't from decluttering every day! :)

Sue @ My Party of 6 said...

That looks great!

I found that storing them with the tops on keeps me from having orphan pieces and also reduces the number of containers I can have. Because they multiply like bunnies for some reason.

Of course, I later read in some magazine that you shouldn't store them that way because mold can grow or something. I'm taking my chances!

Manic Mommy said...

I initially read the caption of that picture as the before and thought 'geez, Stimey, taking it a little too far?' I'm back on course now.

I too need to ditch the unmatched pieces. Where do they go? I buy them in sets...

Threeundertwo said...

I am driving myself crazy by repeatedly buying the deli meats that come in reusable containers. I have a stack that could go to the ceiling now. I'm starting to use them for the kids craft supplies, but really, I ought to stop buying them in the first place.

katronass said...

How does one go about donating these containers? I was recently bought a 40 peice pack that are way better than the flimsy ones I currently have, but I have no room for the new ones because the old ones clutter so much! Does the Salvastion Army take these? Or is that non-hygenic? I just want to get rid of them, but don't want to throw them out!!

Stimey said...

I have put Tupperware in my donation bags in the past. I would assume that organizations would take them if they're in decent shape, just as they would take used dishes, right?

they're probably also recyclable in some places.