Friday, February 27, 2009

Donate Crayon Bits

When I cleaned out my crayon bins the other day, I ended up tossing lots of pieces of broken crayons. After a suggestion from Whirlwind, I searched out some other options of what to do with those crayon bits.

You can obviously recycle the crayon bits into new crayons. You can find all kinds of instructions all over the web on how to do this.

If you're more of a Let's Let Someone Else Take Care of This type of person, there are many recycling/donation programs out there. I've listed some on my Resources for Decluttering page under "crayons," or you can just Google "donate crayons" or "recycle crayons."

The National Crayon Recycling Program is an example of a national program. I found an Illinois program that melts your crayons into large crayons for special needs kids. And there are many more!

Let me know if you've used one of these programs or have any feedback on them. I'd love to hear what you think.

You can find many more suggestions about things to do with your crayons or other types of junk on our Resources for Decluttering page.

3 comments:

BetteJo said...

I am going to check out the Illinois one, cause we literally took every box of crayons my kids brought home at the end of the school year and dumped into a bin. Woo hoo!

Whirlwind said...

Sorry I never got back to you on that and you had to do your own research - my computer died. We just got it back.

Glad you found it!

Abbysmom said...

It's time to get rid of our giant crayon bins altogether - thanks for the great ideas! My other option was to leave them on your porch, so you dodged some clutter.