Tuesday, February 24, 2009

It's My Junkiversary!

One year ago today I wrote my first post for The Junk Pyramid. Though I didn't actually start throwing things out until February 25, I figured I would take a moment today to celebrate what I've gotten rid of this year.

See? It's a pyramid made out of junk!

No, really. It is.

Those items are part of the work I did today. I'm getting rid of all my play food. I'm going to list it on Craigslist, and I don't mark Craigslist items as decluttered until I sell them or give up and donate them, so you'll see a big post about that in the hopefully not too far away future.

But over the weekend, I did manage to sell my play kitchen.


After I add that to my count, I have successfully decluttered 2, 868 items.


That's not too shabby.

That is almost three THOUSAND fewer items in my house. Now granted, some of those items are small, like a pen or an itty bitty toy. But some of them were huge, like a crib, or a dresser, or a play kitchen. And every one of those things I got rid of made my house more pleasant place to be. Not to mention, I have been able to donate many of those things, so hopefully they are bringing joy to someone else now.

I've also become more conscious of decisions I make to bring things into my home. Yes, I have purchased a lot of items in the past year, but I make better choices about them. I tend to think more about the things I buy, even if they just cost $1 or 50 cents, and whether they're going to end up on this website in three months. If my answer is yes, I don't buy it.

Usually.

I've also freaked out every person who might buy a gift for me or my children. Sorry about that, friends.

What is amazing to me is how much work I still have to do. I do believe that I will have plenty of clutter in my home to make up another whole year of decluttering six a day.

Don't forget to check out my Resources for Decluttering page.


I'm always updating it (and by "always" I mean "every other week when I have five minutes of free time"), so keep checking back if you want to know where to get rid of something. If you want me to look into where to get rid of something or if you have suggestions on a resource I should add, let me know.

Also don't forget to write in if you have a Dear Stimey dilemma or if you have a great decluttering tip. I love to hear about your own success stories!

So Happy Junkiversary to me, and Happy Decluttering to you!!


*****

* Thanks to my faithful reader *m* for coining the term "junkiversary."

** Anyone else find it ironic that on my junkiversary, I only managed to list one item that I got rid of? (Although in my defense, I did a good amount of decluttering in my basement today. It's just that I have to sell it before I can post it here.)

10 comments:

*m* said...

You are an inspiration -- and damn entertaining to boot. Congrats, and purge on!

Carrie said...

Happy Junkiversary! I just put my play kitchen on craigslist yesterday. :)

Keep up the good work getting rid of the crap!

Abbysmom said...

Happy Junkiversary! I have been decluttering with you for about 6 months now. I am enjoying the progress but fairly appalled at how much is still here. Keep inspiring us!

Manic Mommy said...

Happy Junkiversary! I thought of you the whole time I was on my hands and knees cleaning out my cabinet. Really.

Also, a resource for you. I got more free gift junk when Clinique sold me the empty blush container the other day. I was thinking that a woman's shelter or one of those charities that provides women with appropriate work clothes might benefit from it (I've got a ton of it that I'll never use). I'm looking into it locally but it's something you may want to add as well.

BetteJo said...

Happy junkiversary! That's just fun to say, isn't it? I am in awe, I cannot imagine ever getting rid of that much, maybe I should start counting! 5 bags of clothes out to the Cancer Federation today and I'm not even close to what you've done. You're my junky hero. :)

Heather said...

You should celebrate this important day with a giveaway- of 3 tubes of Crest Pro Health toothpaste! Perhaps it will be more successful than the cat meds giveaway. Happy junkiversary!

Kelly said...

Happy Junkiversary! I just realized if I had started decluttering when you did, I'd have a lot more crap gone by now! LOL We have that same kitchen but it still gets used a lot in my house. That was one of the best investments we made....we've gotten a lot of mileage out of it. I hope that means my boys will make great husbands someday since they like to cook

vickie2005 said...

congratulations on the milestone!!! and thank you for making me a more slightly more self-aware consumer.

Natalia said...

So thankful I found you! My apartment is oh, about 800 sq ft and there are 3 of us living in it one of them a pack rat (my hubby), the other a 4 1/2 year toy hound and me! I'm a crafter. Can you see wall to wall stuff? Ugh

Kim said...

Yes!! This is great stuff. I hope when I get to the end of my year of "Purge Thursdays" I remember to make a count!