Friday, March 20, 2009

A Simple Solution to Eliminating Visual Clutter

Sometimes you have done all you can with a space and it is still not the loveliest thing in the world to look at. Such is the case with my videography equipment closet.

It has changed somewhat since I last wrote about that particular closet. I've done some rearranging and purging since then, but it is still not the most pleasant closet to walk past.

Much of that has to do with the fact that this is where I keep the cats' litter box and food, plus where I store the dog and cat food. It's not awesome to walk past when the litter is clean, but it's even less pleasant when someone has done some "business" in there.

This closet is also the repository for many small books and boxes, which just look cluttery.

AND it's on a main route in my house, from my kitchen/dining room/side entrance to the TV room. So people walk by it all the time. And this is what they see (on a clean day):


If I'd photographed it from the other side, it might look even more cluttery. There are many reasons why these things have to live in this particular closet. That isn't going to change anytime soon. Plus that baby gate has to stay there to keep the dog (and Quinn) out but let the cats in.

I'm tired of being embarrassed every time someone walks past that closet, so I went to Target while thinking about easy, inexpensive solutions. What I decided on was one sheer curtain panel ($19.99) to obscure the clutter without making it look like I hung a shower curtain in the hall.

I had a curtain rod at home that wasn't in use, so I installed that on the inside of the closet, and hung the curtain from that. Voila!


Yeah, the baby gate is still ugly. But it obscures where I had to pin the curtain up because it was too long. I love that it is easy to push aside and get into the closet, plus the cats can see through it, so they won't feel like they're shut inside a room without knowing what's outside.

That is my solution to a cluttery spot that had been bothering me for years. I'd love to hear from you—how do you eliminate visual clutter in your home?

6 comments:

Heather said...

Great idea!

Mama Echo said...

Brilliant!! I should do that to the closet in my office.

Manic Mommy said...

The baby gate actually serves the dual function of keeping the curtain tucked in and out of boys playful hands.

I have the same one at the top of my stairs - hideous but necessary.

BetteJo said...

I haven't! That's why I'm here!!

Sue @ My Party of 6 said...

I have TWO of that same baby gate! And tomorrow I am going out and buying 35 curtains and rods. By Monday, you will not be able to see clutter at my house anymore! Wooo! There will be a lot of curtains though!

Seriously though - excellent idea when a door won't work!

jaguaregirl said...

Curtains & boxes. The best things ever when you want to look as organized as you hope to be someday.

I also love folding screens as they are essentialy moveable, free-standing curtains.