Sunday, April 26, 2009

As the Seasons Change, So Must the Closet

Last week my kids wore their parkas to school. This weekend it was 95 degrees. I'm guessing that summer is here. I would rue the lack of spring, but I'm just relieved to not have to deal with coats and hats and gloves anymore.

Because my closets aren't big enough for clothes of all seasons, I have to switch them out when the seasons change. And this time, the timing of the coming of summer couldn't be better. I opened our coat/cleaning supplies closet the other day only to have bins of towels and swim suits fall on me.


Plus, the wicker chest in which we keep our hats, gloves, and assorted winter warming gear was a tad unruly.


So I went through each of these spaces and packed up the winter gear and made the summer gear accessible. My closet is better, but that closet is a regular pain in my ass, so I don't care too much about how it's better.


What I'm really proud of is my wicker chest. I organized to make everything available and easy to access.


That pink and white bag is my Waiting Room Bag, i.e. the bag that holds homework supplies and hand held video games for when my kids have to sit and be quiet. Which is surprisingly often.

The pink bin holds sunscreen, sun hats, band aids, and mosquito repellent. I should mention that this chest sits close to our back door, near where we play in our splash pool, and our side door, near where we ride bikes in the driveway. Having it this available will be handy.

Also? Don't let me buy any more mosquito repellent. I appear to have quite a supply.

The clear box in the pink bin holds purse-type items that I sometimes switch from purse to purse. The idea is that if I take a smaller purse, I'll put the extra stuff in that box. Then if I take a larger purse, I can easily find my extra stuff if I want it.

On the left is a stack of purses and bags. This way they are all in one place. Inside that blue bag on the top are 9 cotton tote bags. I obviously have a problem, but I'm not ready to address it right now.

This is what I'm getting rid of:

Except I'll probably keep Quinn.

What you see there are a bunch of diapers and swim diapers I found in our old swim bag. Quinn was almost offended by their existence. I think he was afraid we were going to try to stuff him back in there.

Other than that, I have a couple nearly empty bottles that I've been storing for a year, a purse I bought in Costa Rica, but don't use anymore, and a couple little bottom-of-the-purse items I never used.

Total items: 12

4 comments:

Kirsten said...

Yay - your first summer without diapers! I am overwhelmed by your organizedness.

BetteJo said...

I am very close to wonderment here. Your wicker basket and the organizational thought behind it - is totally beyond my understanding. Extra purse stuff? That stuff gets tossed into junk drawers, onto the top of the dishwasher, and onto my dresser. An actual PLACE for it? Like it's a real category? You are expanding my mind. WOW.

Thrift Store Mama said...

I have been a blogging loser recently, but you have inspired me to do a post on what we do with our supply of cloth tote bags. I should have known I could count on Stimey for inspiration!

*m* said...

Oh, how I hate the change of seasons thing...especially when the season keeps changing BACK. I will be procrastinating doing this for at least another month.