Monday, September 21, 2009

And Now For the Bedroom Deep Clean

After tackling the playroom and the basement, I deep-cleaned my kids' room at the beginning of this month. I do this on a regular basis, but this time I was ruthless. If it hadn't been played with for a while, consistently makes a mess, or just flat out bothers me, I got rid of pretty much everything that wasn't a book or an article of clean, fitting, wearable clothing.

What you see here are some of those books and toys that didn't make the cut. Like those already filled in activity books in the front right. Why on earth would I keep those? I'm a moron.


Then I found some pads of paper and activity books that my kids never, ever look at. I'm donating them in hopes that someone else will want to use them. In the back are a bunch of dry erase books and sheets for teaching letters. Now that I think about it, I might donate this stuff to my preschool if they want it.


Next up is a belt that is too little for my kids. I also got rid of a ton of unmatched socks and stained white t-shirts. Plus some Spongebob underpants that Quinn finds too scary to wear.


The pajama shelf was next. My kids often don't wear pajamas, so one or two pairs apiece is plenty for them. What you see here is six sets of PJs and four pajama pants that are too small or that my kids refuse to wear anymore. You also see a stuffed Christmas tree I bought in 2002 and am sick to death of.


Next up are t-shirts that all my kids have grown out of. Also some shirts that I ironed designs on myself but that were mysteriously ruined by one trip through someone else's washing machine over the summer.


This last photo is of some stuffed animals that get in the way a lot and some Build-A-Bear accessories that are usually shoved into the back of a shelf. You'll also see a LOT of tiny notebooks. I tend to get these for birthday party goody bags and Christmas stockings. But my kids will never be able to work their way through our tiny notebook backlog, so hopefully whoever they get donated to will be able to find a use for them.


And there you have it. Not bad for a couple hours worth of work, eh? After looking at the photos, I count roughly 83 items.

5 comments:

Swistle said...

Oh, man, I am ALWAYS buying workbooks and notebooks.

I am following part of your lead: I got rid of a bunch of stained t-shirts (they're supposed to be for pajamas, but they don't get worn much) and a bunch of handmedowns that I saved for some reason even though they didn't fit right or had holes in the knees or whatever.

Swistle said...

Oh, and I also got rid of some clothes that have been through three boys already and I NEVER WANT TO SEE THEM AGAIN even though technically Henry could wear them.

Heather said...

You can donate your tiny notebook collection to me if you want. K uses up tiny notebooks at an astonishing speed.

*m* said...

A fine effort. I will be purging more t-shirts tomorrow for my favorite bi-annual event: the school fabric drive.

You are on a hot streak!

Manic Mommy said...

I desperately need to do this in my own bedroom, both boys' rooms, the linen closet...okay, the whole house. If I pay for the flight will you come do it with me? I have wine!