Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Pulling a Stimey

Ever since I started this whole Junk Pyramid enterprise I have been the queen of foisting things onto my friends. If you're in my house and you mention you like something, chances are pretty good that you will walk out of there holding it.

Thrift Store Mama (I'm pretty sure it was her) coined the term "pulling a Stimey" at some point, the definition being that you force visitors to your home to take your clutter home with them.

I have to say that it is a very effective way of decluttering.

A couple of years ago I was at a kids' birthday party and one of the moms told the host mom that she liked the CD that was playing. "Take it," the host mom replied, "you can have it." She later told me that her philosophy is that if someone likes something more than you do, they should have it.

I like that. And I KNOW that there is someone out there who likes this CD more than I do:


Back in May we Pulled a Stimey with one of these horrible CDs, but somehow another one snuck into our house. So the other day when Jack's friend was over, I asked her if she'd like to take it home with her. (Hint: Pulling a Stimey goes even better if there is no other parent around.) Of course she did. And she happened to want the little Happy Meal toy I was getting rid of too.

I Pulled a Stimey not long after BlogHer as well. I was babysitting for a friend of mine and while she was gone, I put together her own little swag bag:


I also gave her some Stimeyland pens and put the whole thing in a resuable bag that I came home from BlogHer with. (Hint: Putting items in a bag is an effective way to give your friends more than they want to take because they don't see everything until they get home and it is too late.)

One of the best things about Pulling Stimeys is going to other people's homes and seeing our old stuff there being loved and played with. Definitely a great way to recycle.

6 comments:

*m* said...

Nice. We've done this at our house too, only we call them Parting Gifts.

Heather said...

I had no clue until just now that you pulled a Stimey on me! I do love the reusable shopping bag you gave me. It folds up real flat and I keep it in my purse. The kids do wear the crowns and they have actually used the coloring books too. It looks like it worked out for everyone!

I guess you pulled a Stimey on me that other day with the Strawberry Shortcake DVD too. Hmmm. I am going to have to be very careful when I leave your house.

Tech Savvy Mama said...

Making mental note not to come over and comment on anything in your home so don't be offended by my silence when I'm there. Kidding. Sort of.

BetteJo said...

. . . and devious too! Hmmm. Since my kids are grown I would probably be admiring oh . . a flat screen TV maybe? I dunno, just a thought!

Thrift Store Mama said...

I do think it was me. Thanks for the credit!

ALW said...

YAH. Thanks for the glitter and tattoos. I threw them away for you.