Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Instruction Manual Drawer

I think that most houses have a depository for user guides, instruction manuals, and warranties. In my house it is a drawer. In some houses it is a binder. In still other houses, it is broken up into 25 different places around the house.

This is what mine looked like today before I decided to spend 15 minutes clearing it out:


I somewhat question the need for this sort of drawer at all these days, what with any user guide you may need being findable on the internet in about 0.06 seconds. In fact, I needed one of the user guides in this drawer a couple of weeks ago, but didn't remember that I had it, so I looked it up online and found my information without ever opening the drawer.

But I'm a packrat, so I can't quite rid myself of everything in the drawer. So instead I went through and got rid of all the manuals for things we don't have anymore. I also got rid of manuals for really stupid things that I really don't need the manual for.

For instance, THIS is something you might want to save the manual for:


THIS is not:


Also, I love that the hole punch instructions are specifically labeled "easy." Just in case you were worried.

I found a lot of things like Lego building instructions, which we will not be using again. I was able to get rid of a lot of paper. (Which I am not counting as an item, but it still feels great!)


And here is my drawer 15 minutes after I started:


I can close it without shuffling the papers around and everything. Very satisfying, I have to say.

2 comments:

Thrift Store Mama said...

A long time ago I ridiculously put all our manuals into a binder. It is a pain to pull out and look through. A drawer would be much, much better.

Moderate Means said...

Drawer looks fabulous! I wish we had one, even a cluttered one, though, because I could have used a bread machine and a sewing machine manual this week. I found the bread machine one online FOR SALE! I was bummed...and too cheap to buy it ;)

Maybe I can clear out our "every cell phone, battery, handheld video game, camera, whatnot charge cord ever brought into our house" drawer and replace it with a manual drawer!