Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Bath Toys: The Final Declutter

My bathtub used to be the home of many, many toys. Seriously. We had A LOT of them. I'm not sure why we thought we needed so many of them, when three cups and a plastic fish would have done nicely, but we did.

I've gotten rid of a lot of these toys in the past few years, and some of them have turned into summer wading pool toys. But I was looking at the bathtub the other day and it occurred to me that we still had too many.

 Our bathroom is SUPER YELLOW. Hence the yellow tint to the photo.

It's not a whole lot, but considering my kids are 5, 7, and almost 9, their use of the bath and bathtub toys is limited. Showers loom large in our present and future, and you don't need toys for the shower. (Except for the wet washcloths that they've already learned to use as weapons on each other.)

I was harsh in my decluttering here, but it was also incredibly easy. This is what I left:

 I left the shark and the alligator because they are aquatic animals, see?

And this is what the bathtub looks like now, after everything is removed, it has been scrubbed, and I used a flash on my camera:

Huh. I need to look into tub stain removers.

Here are the discards:

It looks like I've been out trawling.

I was a little sad to get rid of those little foam animals because they are only a few months old and barely played with. But, considering they are barely played with, I'm going to assume that means my kids will probably not play with them MORE as they get older. Plus, no one wants used bath toys, so they're trash.

I am happy to get rid of the net bag. I have had that thing forever. I couldn't justify getting rid of it when we had enough toys to put in it, but now that we have TWO, I think we'll be okay without it.

Total items discarded: 27