Sunday, October 31, 2010

Throwing Away Brand New Things

We just bought a new telephone set because ours was doing some funky stuff. You know, like not letting us make or receive calls.

We have incredibly bad luck with telephones and have to replace them every couple of years. The new one is cool, but I haven't had enough time to figure out how to make it do anything. We put the phone together and then tossed all the extraneous bits on the counter.

Yesterday I was cleaning off and organizing the giant pile of crap on the counter and came across these:


That's the wall mount for the phone base and the little belt-clip thingies for each headset.

I stopped and looked at them. I know, because I have owned phones before, that I will never use these pieces. But still. They just came out of the box. They're brand new pieces of plastic that took resources to create and will take up space in a landfill once they're gone. They were useless to me, but I didn't want to throw them away.

Then I thought about it. Aren't they kind of creating the same trash problem if they are unused in my house as if they were unused in a landfill?

I don't know. I still feel guilt for throwing them away, but the only other option was to stash them in a cupboard somewhere in my house where they won't get used and will just take up space.

What do you do with stuff like this?

Total items discarded: 4