Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Spice Purge

I was listening to the radio the other day and there was a guest on the Kojo Nnamdi Show talking about spices. She said that you should get rid of your spices if they don't have an aroma anymore because that means they are dead and no longer flavorful.

I was excited because I have A LOT of spices, many of which I have had for a long time. I was envisioning getting rid of many little jars and possible consolidating my four spice racks into two. Surely I don't use that many spices, right?

I spent a substantial amount of time one day not too long ago smelling all my spices. One odor-induced splitting headache later, I still had most of my spices in front of me. I did decide that, even if they still smelled, a few of them were too old to keep, so I got rid of those. But most of them I kept.

I did organize them though.

Salts, peppers, and toothpicks.

Near: Herbs. Far: Garlic/onion powders, plus spices in short jars.

 The rest of my spices. And a guest gerbil.

Not quite what I was hoping for in terms of volume, but I'm okay with it for now.

Here's what I ended up getting rid of:

Eleven spices.

The cool thing about this decluttering project is that it let me use Freecycle again, which I find fascinating every single time I do. Remember the time I gave away syringes on Freecycle?

I posted that I had six glass spice jars to give away and within an hour, I had two people offering to come pick them up. They were gone by the time I went to bed. One (wo)man's trash...

Total items: 11