Friday, December 10, 2010

The Great TV Room Declutter: The Video Game Edition

My family and I are gamers. We love video games and over the years have collected many, many, many of them. A long time ago, I moved all of our game discs into a CD folder so we don't have a billion cases hanging around in the TV room. Actually getting rid of those cases is another story in another room, and one I hope to get to before too long, but for now, the discs are contained in a small space.

I do, however, keep all of the instructions to the games.


They were all in a stack next to my TV when I was cleaning out the room. When I was dusting a thick layer of dust off of them, it occurred to me that I hadn't picked any of them up for months. I asked Alex what he would do if he had a question about a video game we had. Would he seek out the manual or just go online to find an answer?

He said he'd go to the internet, and frankly, I would too.

It seemed a little wrong to recycle all of these, but considering we don't resell our video games, we really don't need them. Now, I agree that keeping the instructions for a new game is okay for a while, but once you get the hang of it, they're not all that necessary.

All told, I got rid of 35 instruction booklets.

I was also able to get rid of my Netflix streaming disc for my Wii because you don't need the disc anymore to watch Netflix movies through the Wii. (Disclosure: I am a Nintendo Brand Enthusiast, although I pay for Netflix myself, blah-de-blah-de-blah.)


We also had a PS2 from back in the day. Probably about a year ago it stopped working. Judging by the layer of dust on the controllers there, it didn't get used a lot even when it did work. The PS2 is going to the electronics graveyard at the dump and the controllers are going to the donation bin.


Next, I just have to dig out all of my PS2 discs and get rid of them as well.

Total items: 40